Thursday, December 3, 2009

MUSIC MAJORS! Am I Prepared to Major in Music?

I'll be an entering freshman at college this fall 2007. I decided to major in music. These are my classes:



SightSing%26amp;EarTraining 1



Music Theory 1



Chamber Ensemble



College Writing



WesternCiv1



Applied Music for Guitar (I need to audition for this, its private lessons, and in the description it says i need to know how to read music)



Now, the problem is, I don't know how to read music! I'm very stressed out and I hope these classes were designed for people who didn't know how to read music prior.



What I don't get is how it is a requirement to know how to read music upon audition for my applied music class for guitar, and to know how to read music whilst actually accepted into the class, when ill be taking music theory 1- 4 for a reason.. to read notes!



My names Rob, I play guitar.



Will I survive my music major without knowing how to read notes, and learning how to read them whilst progressing in colege?



MUSIC MAJORS! Am I Prepared to Major in Music?

-(Myspace music www.myspace.com)



Rob,



Normally, before you enter music school, you must take a placement test to determine which courses you should enroll in. Did you take this test or are you scheduled to take it?



Most freshman level music theory course assume that you know how to read music. There is, however, usually a beginner's course offered, typically called music fundamentals. If I were you, I would look into enrolling in that course; music theory 1 will most likely move too quickly for you to learn how to read notation.

No comments:

Post a Comment