Tuesday, December 29, 2009

World music...?

Why do so many people seem to find music that is outside of their comfort zone "weird". I used to be into mainstream music, however as i got older I realized that mainstream music just was dull and uninteresting, if it was made after a certain point (early to mid-nineties, with very few exceptions). That is when I decided to look outside what we hear everyday. I deiscovered a whole treasure in world music! Ayub Ogada, Goeffrey Oryema, Huun Huur Tu, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, I could go on and on! when I try and play any of this for my wife , she looks at me funny and tells me I'm weird. If any of you are tired of what you hear on the radio or on television, go looking... you'll find some of the best music you've never heard.



World music...?

-(Myspace music www.myspace.com)



Not sure you're really looking for an answer - a rhetorical question? - but I've always wondered the same thing. I've been really into music since I was a kid, and I enjoy almost everything, or at least some of everything. Classical, folk, some jazz, some rock



The recent interest in "world music" is wonderful, and I've been listening to The Weavers and Folkway recordings since the early 50s. Music from other cultures allows us to speak to each other without knowing each other's languages. It's international and cuts across many of the things that separate us today. It lets us see how much we really have in common/



Guess I'm a hopeless idealist, but I can imagine people coming together in peace and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment