Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Music theory - not coping very well :(?

Its so hard to comprehend music theory, and the music i'm interested in music theory crazy ! I want to write fugues, and polyphonal works, and i'm just starting to get counterpoint, but fugue writing is nearly impossible! The rules have to be at least the size of a bible! Basic things like intervals confuse me, because music notation really agitates the crap out of me and i feel like im getting no where! How should i approach my music composition? Should i focus on less harder forms than a fugue? I can't afford a music teacher, and im sure as hell paying for it! (if you know what i mean). Any advice with music composition would be great!



Music theory - not coping very well :(?

-(Myspace music www.myspace.com)



Because fugue writing is the next stage on from counterpoint you would be wise to master the art of counterpoint and to fully understand it. JS Bach did not write to rules - only styles of writing - it is the study of his work which has put rules in place. I suggest that you learn harmony from Bach's Chorales of which you also need knowledge in order to grasp counterpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment